Succulent Identification Please!!

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Maddy77

Succulent Identification Please!!

Post by Maddy77 »

IMG_0053.jpg
IMG_0053.jpg (32.14 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
IMG_0052.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG (65.62 KiB) Viewed 1129 times
I bought this cute little guy for $3 at a fair a few weeks ago, but I'm afraid it isn't looking quite as good as it did when I bought it. I don't know what kind of succulent it is, so I'm not sure how to best care for it! Any help with identification and care tips would be greatly appreciated!
rampart13

Re: Succulent Identification Please!!

Post by rampart13 »

I'd say Haworthia cymbiformis maybe variegata. Is it getting enough light? How much have you watered it since you got it? Succulents do not require water very often. Does that tin bucket have drainage holes? If not I would suggest putting gravel at the bottom of the bucket so that when you do water it the plant is not sitting in water. That, or put it into a pot with a drainage hole.
Maddy77

Post by Maddy77 »

Thank you!! It is in a pot with drainage holes inside of the bucket, and I have a folded piece of paper towel in the bottom of the bucket that I change whenever it gets too damp. I haven't watered it very much, just a small watering once a week, but I did water it a lot when I first got it because someone accidentally knocked it over and I wanted to make sure the soil resettled. I am worried about the light it gets, since my dorm does not get much direct sun.
One Windowsill

Post by One Windowsill »

It definitely needs a lot more light. As you don't have an alternative you could try putting something reflective behind the plant so that any light you do get is reflected back on it. A large piece of white card much taller than the plant, for example. Don't let it block any incoming light but surround the other side of the plant to reflect light effectively during the whole day.

A fluorescent bulb may also help, a warm reddish white or cool bluey white compact energy-saving lamp of 10-15 watts, 20cm above the plant. A cheap timer switch could be set for 12 hours per day, during the day. Or you could switch it on and off as needed.
Maddy77

Post by Maddy77 »

How much does the color of the bulb matter? I have a white fluorescent 20 watt bulb, but that's the best I can do for now.
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Put it in your windowsill. Even if you don't get much light, it will be far worse just a foot or two from that window. Hopefully the plant does well for you but honestly, certain plants have certain minimum light requirements and if your room doesn't get enough light the plant simply won't thrive.

A flourescent light could help as long as it is in conjunction with being in your window. 20 watts isn't much but it could help. The biggest problem is you very likely have a normal bulb which will be in the 2700k range for color temperature. If you can find one in the 5000-6500k range then you will get the biggest benefit.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
Maddy77

Post by Maddy77 »

Thanks!!