Unknown succulent is dying!

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
hjayne

Unknown succulent is dying!

Post by hjayne »

Hi! I'm having trouble with one of my succulent plants and I figured I'd ask around to see if anyone has any advice.

I got this plant almost two months ago as a gift. It was purchased at a small garden store and didn't come with any sort of identification. I really like it for its size and geometric looking leaves -- it looks a lot different than my other plants.

It seemed to be growing pretty well for a while. I live in New England and I keep my plants on my front porch during the summer where they get a good amount of sun. This plant started growing super fast. It even shot up some baby plants (theres three babies along with the main plant now). Sadly, though, it's bottom leaves have begun to die pretty quickly. They start at the tip and gradually turn brown and shriveled until they fall off completely. Even some of the bottom leaves on the baby plants have been doing it.

The weird thing is the main plant and baby plants are still growing really well. The top leaves look very strong and healthy and the stems seem to be doing well. The pictures I have of it are from about a week ago and the plant is even bigger now. But the way the bottom leaves are dying off so much, and so quickly, its really got me worried. Again, even more have fallen off in the short time since the pictures were taken.

I've been trying to identify it for a bit now and I've had no luck. I really would like to be able to know exactly what type of succulent it is so I can see how it should be growing. It's never grown in a classic rosette shape, not even the baby plants. I'm afraid to try to propagate it (which seems to be the general advice for tall, stemmy succulents) because I don't know what it is. And to be honest, I like the height of it -- I feel like it is supposed to grow tall, too, since the baby plants are growing in the same way.

I've been letting the soil dry completely between waterings and recently I've been moving it around my porch to try and give it as much light as possible (though it has been getting good sunlight for at least four or five hours on most days since I got it). I've even been putting it outside in full bright sun, despite knowing it can burn, because the only real advice I've been able to find is that it is simply not getting enough light.

But yeah. Sorry this got so long! I'd really appreciate any help I can get!
rsz_img_4771.jpg
rsz_img_4771.jpg (34.88 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
rsz_img_4770.jpg
rsz_img_4770.jpg (32.76 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
rsz_img_4764.jpg
rsz_img_4764.jpg (35.03 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
Rod Smith

Re: Unknown succulent is dying!

Post by Rod Smith »

I'm not sure what species it is, either. It could be a crassula or a sedum. However, judging by the photos it is in good health. A lot of succulents lose their lower leaves as they grow and this shouldn't be a cause for worry. You say it is getting plenty of sun but it does look a bit "leggy". Are you giving it too much fertiliser? It also looks a bit lopsided and I would enure that it is regularly rotated to ensure that growth is even. I'm sure someone will be able to identify it.
Cactus enthusiast on and off since boyhood. I have a modest collection of cacti & succulents.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

I think it could be a Graptoveria - Graptopetalum x Echeveria hybrid. Maybe this one: PlantFiles: Picture #8 of Graptoveria 'Fred Ives' (X Graptoveria)
Spence :mrgreen:
hjayne

Post by hjayne »

Ooo that looks like it could be it! Thank you!

Yeah the lopsidedness of it is fairly recent. I've been rotating it to try and make the growth even out and the other day I moved it upstairs to my bedroom window in hope that it will get even more sun.
david90531

Post by david90531 »

Looks healthy, but just need more sun, quite a bit more. If can't be achieved at least try to give it as much light as possible, perhaps use growing lights to help
Rosemarie

Post by Rosemarie »

Yes, Greenknight has it, xGraptoveria 'Fred Ives' .
Rosemarie