Succulent identification

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
KittieKAT

Re: Succulent identification

Post by KittieKAT »

I wouldn't get too attached to all these guys lol you never kno even people who grow these all the time and are knowledgeable about these types of plants kill a few all the time....except for probably ian, lol *bows to iann* he is mesemb master! Lol
iann

Post by iann »

Old leaves turning to mush is a sign of overwatering. Healthy behaviour is for the old leaves to very slowly dry up; not pretty but not mushy.
--ian
floring

Post by floring »

Yeah, all mush now. I thought early November was too soon to stop watering all together. I guess I should only water when they begin to shrivel, I probably can't get wrong with that.
iann

Post by iann »

I don't stop watering these ... ever. They get very little in winter, but then they get very little in summer :) Soil is important. Most people use soil that is far too rich and holds too much water. Followed shortly afterwards by mush :( In summer you can get away with it because of evaporation, but really they want a little water in winter too.
--ian
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

Soo just water with a spray bottle not a watering can, spray a few light sprays on soil that's it with the hard sprayer (or fine mist) and your good, remember cold temps don't evaporate water like in summer time
floring

Post by floring »

My soil is a mix of fine gravel, perlite, sand and some cactus soil. I'd say 45% gravel and perlite, 45% sand and 10% cactus soil as a binder. Roughly, of course. The cactus soil does seem too rich, also has small bits of wood and fibres, but it dries up pretty fast in the cacti pots where I use it almost exclusively. At least on the surface it does.
I'm just thinking the few days of cold triggered the rotting. Oh, well...
But you think this might be a viable way to go, though? Wet them only when they start to get wrinkles? I guess they won't thrive, but they'll probably get a better chance of... not dying. Not for years, just until I get the hang of them. Should I expect flowers with this treatment? I read somewhere that Nelii doesn't flower unless you water it in winter.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I think you should get rid of fine sand iy tends to hold water to much and compact the soil and the roots can't breath, but that's just my input i suggest what ever iann master of mesembs suggests should be your medium, but take into consideration the area you live in and the adaccessibility of the medium supplies cause in some places you can't buy some materials for soil in local garden stores
floring

Post by floring »

I never said I used fine sand, I said fine gravel; regular sand. Also, since you said yourself you don't have experience with mesembs can you please refrain from giving general advice? Sorry if I'm being rude, but I'm looking for specific information. Thanks.
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

I do have mesembs, i have ALOT! And i run a growing program with underprivileged kids in poverty stricken area's around my town and we just got done sowing hundreds of seeds that are now plants... and regular sand is what I'm assuming is All Purpose sand and or beach sand, which IS fine sand... and you're not gonna get much help around here snapping at people like that whom are trying to help YOU....
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

And i said i don't grow THESE types of mesembs personally, but i have grown them and taught children how to grow them in the program...that are doing fine.
david90531

Post by david90531 »

Yeah, sadly it is rotten or in the process of, you may be able to save one or two if you seize watering completely.
I haven't watered my Royal Flush ever since I see the new heads growing, and so far it is looking well
Attachments
WP_20141119_010.jpg
WP_20141119_010.jpg (45.89 KiB) Viewed 10937 times
floring

Post by floring »

Thank you everyone, and a Merry Christmas!
KittieKAT

Post by KittieKAT »

What happened to them?
floring

Post by floring »

Well, since you asked... :P

---Warning - relatively long post for anyone interested in a follow up on a 9 year old P nelii.---

The original photos are gone from this post, but I managed to find one for reference.

2014.JPG
2014.JPG (72.9 KiB) Viewed 9432 times

And today a little more than 9 years later, I am sad to report that despite my good intentions, almost all of those green blobs are gone. I believe most, if not all, died in their first year with me.
However 2 of them survived, one of which is still alive and well, the other one has produced 2 pups and then must have died at some point - I can't remember when and I haven't made a note of this. What I do know is that from that original batch I have 3 plants, one of relatively normal size (but not too big) and the other two - branching from the same tap root, small, and they've definitely been this size for the last 3 years.
The reason for their small size, I believe, is my watering schedule, which until this year was April-October, so they got zero water for 5-6 months of the year, which I now understand is not ideal.
This winter I've decided to put them under lights and give them a drink every now and again, so we'll see how it goes.
Also, they haven't flowered for me all this time, until literally today. I can't detect any smell, coconut or otherwise.

Pnelii flower.JPG
Pnelii flower.JPG (131.52 KiB) Viewed 9432 times

The old plants are the three on the left row. I am aware that the small ones have too many pairs of leaves, this is because this spring I planted them in a mix that contained vermiculite and I hear it retains moisture. The result is the bigger plant flowered for the very first time, and the two small plants have developed 3 sets of leaves. I have changed the mix back to pumice+John Innes and under lights, I can already see the old leaves deflating.

Well that's it, hope you found all of this somewhat interesting, or at least a little more than meh.
jerrytheplater

Post by jerrytheplater »

Thanks for the update! Even though I wasn't here for the original posting.
Jerry Smith
Bloomingdale, NJ
45 inches (114 cm) rain equivalent per year, approx. evenly spread per month
2012 USDA Hardiness Zone 6b: -5F to OF (-20C to -18C) min.