No Idea what this is.

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Hantke

No Idea what this is.

Post by Hantke »

I got this along with a couple Cacti a while back, it's not doing it's best right now, but i'd like to get it back to being healthy again!

Any ideas?

TexasPricklyPiglet

Re: No Idea what this is.

Post by TexasPricklyPiglet »

Hmm...well, it looks like an echeveria of some sort, but I'm not sure what species. I do have one just like it, but it is sitting in a pot with other succulents that I have not tried to identify. I'll keep looking :)
Image Image Image

A young Texan girl in a big cactus world.

<3 Trade with me? <3
iann

Post by iann »

Looks a bit etiolated. The smaller more upright leaves at the top look a bit better. The lower leaves would die naturally, but this is a bit beyond healthy. It might be the weak growth from the low light burning in higher light. Or maybe just losing some leaves after repotting.

Despite the etiolation it still looks looser than most Echeverias. It may well be a hybrid like a Pachyveria.
--ian
Hantke

Post by Hantke »

iann wrote:Looks a bit etiolated. The smaller more upright leaves at the top look a bit better. The lower leaves would die naturally, but this is a bit beyond healthy. It might be the weak growth from the low light burning in higher light. Or maybe just losing some leaves after repotting.

Despite the etiolation it still looks looser than most Echeverias. It may well be a hybrid like a Pachyveria.

It's really hard to say. I know that most of the leaves were damaged when I purchased it (it was wrapped in plastic inside of a tiny planter) so i'm un-sure if I'm over-watering, under-watering, or it's just a having a hard time with being re-planted, or perhaps the abnormally high heat (compared to normal) out here. I don't want to go overboard and drown it, but I don't want to starve it either. I'm hoping once we have a definite answer I will be able to figure out exactly what is happening. Thank you!
Hantke

Post by Hantke »

I did just turn the planter around so as to correct for the "reaching" although due to lack of sturdy roots, it was planted at an angle like this to start because the solid wouldn't pack down to help hold it in place, I'm hoping that it will straighten out and spread it's roots as time goes.
iann

Post by iann »

This group of plants are mostly not happy in extreme heat, but hard to be sure without knowing exactly what it is. A typical Echeveria or Pachyveria will be quite happy outdoors in England during summer, so typical highs not reaching 70F and possibly not reaching 80F all summer. They are mountain plants that like the sun but not the heat. I'm not an expert though, and I don't know if the best answer for a heatwave is more water or more shade.

Lack of strong roots is always a problem. Plants are a whole lot more resilient when they've had a few months to establish themselves.
--ian
Hantke

Post by Hantke »

Yeah, I am in Oregon (USA) where it almost never gets above 80F, except for this summer for some reason. usually we get sunny / rainy days so it stays pretty cool. But if it IS a mountain plant, perhaps I should re-plant it inside of a separate pot and keep it outside of the window sill? I will be moving soon, so it would be a good opportunity to look for a new spot at the new place before we are all settled in. perhaps on my desk where it is light, but usually cool?

I was hoping to keep my two Cacti in the window when I moved.
My Rock plant (Lithops) is doing great, in the last two weeks it's split and already almost looking as though it will flower or split again here pretty soon. Maybe it's in a better spot than the rest? anyways, sidetrack over. Lots of fun stuff in the future, thank you again!