Unidentified gifts

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
hellocharley

Unidentified gifts

Post by hellocharley »

I've been researching for days trying to find out the names of all of my unidentified succulents. These are gifts from my mum & I'm having trouble with the flat one at the front & the light green one at the back (which I'm pretty sure is straining for sunlight, the poor thing). I think I've worked out the other one as a gasteria obliqua but I could be wrong. Any insight would be so greatly appreciated :)
IMG_9817.JPG
IMG_9817.JPG (39.45 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
I accidentally pulled a leaf off ... oh no, I'll have to propagate! :P
I accidentally pulled a leaf off ... oh no, I'll have to propagate! :P
IMG_9818.JPG (40.27 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
IMG_9819.JPG
IMG_9819.JPG (41.61 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
iann

Re: Unidentified gifts

Post by iann »

The tall one looks like an etiolated Oscularia. In the sun it would have bluish leaves, more noticeable spines, and obviously be much more compact. Good for the garden, it will be rampant providing winters stay above about -5C. Assuming it really is an Oscularia.
--ian
Rosemarie

Post by Rosemarie »

I agree with Ian, an etiolated Oscularia. The front one looks to be a Crassula (but not one I've seen before). Yes, Gasteria, but hard to pin down the species.
Rosemarie
hellocharley

Post by hellocharley »

I Googled Oscularia & I'd agree, thank you both. It's most definitely etiolated, it's winter here & it's hard to balance keeping them in adequate sunlight & protecting them from frost.

Any ideas on the flat one at the front?

- Terri
Rosemarie

Post by Rosemarie »

I'm thinking the one in front may be along the lines of Crassula hemisphaerica. I have not ever seen one in person. I cannot tell if your leaves have a small point on them. In any case, check it out & compare. :mrgreen:
Rosemarie
hellocharley

Post by hellocharley »

Rosemarie wrote:I'm thinking the one in front may be along the lines of Crassula hemisphaerica. I have not ever seen one in person. I cannot tell if your leaves have a small point on them. In any case, check it out & compare. :mrgreen:
I did a quick google images search & it's definitely not that, but that search did bring up a picture that helped me ID it - I'm almost certain it's a crassula dubia :D Thanks so much!
Rosemarie

Post by Rosemarie »

I don't think your plant is Crassula dubia. I have those. They may now be classified as Crassula cotyledonis. These have leaves that are not quite opposite each other & look sort of lopsided. Yours look symmetrical. Yours lay flat, whereas these leaves would be upright, but I considered yours might look that way by whatever condition they're in. Still, hard to say. Perhaps it will bloom for you one day & we can take another crack at its ID. :mrgreen:
Rosemarie
hellocharley

Post by hellocharley »

Rosemarie wrote:I don't think your plant is Crassula dubia. I have those. They may now be classified as Crassula cotyledonis. These have leaves that are not quite opposite each other & look sort of lopsided. Yours look symmetrical. Yours lay flat, whereas these leaves would be upright, but I considered yours might look that way by whatever condition they're in. Still, hard to say. Perhaps it will bloom for you one day & we can take another crack at its ID. :mrgreen:
Oh! I'll show you the image (from a Google image search) that made me think it was that. The bottom leaves look identical to mine? I'm not sure. I don't think these guys are happy in their current pot anyway & they need to find a sunnier spot (my friend just gave me her greenhouse so I'm going to give that a shot). Maybe when it's had some decent sun it will be easier to ID.

1bigfruit

Post by 1bigfruit »

I think they need some sunshine....
A Moth is Lighter than the Sea, but Dimmer than the Light it Sees.