I.D help on some new pets!

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
jennajean

I.D help on some new pets!

Post by jennajean »

Hey there! So before joining the forum myself I scanned a lot of subjects to try and figure out what kind of succulents and cacti I have. I'm pretty sure I have a Euphorbia and a small Opuntia as well as a type of Sedum. A couple of these plants came to me sick and I have been trying to nurse them back but am unsure if I'm doing the right thing as I do not know what type of plant they are and what their problem is. The Euphorbia was given to me mostly red and shriveled, it has been getting greener. Any advice or help would be so wonderful as I really do love these guys and am having such a great experience with them.
Attachments
not sure what the small one in the middle is, some type of aloe?
not sure what the small one in the middle is, some type of aloe?
IMAG0245.jpg (42.8 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
I would really like to know what these fingery guys are, they're soft but the prickers itch
I would really like to know what these fingery guys are, they're soft but the prickers itch
IMAG0246.jpg (36.59 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
IMAG0247.jpg
IMAG0247.jpg (36.09 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
a gift from a friend
a gift from a friend
IMAG0248.jpg (40.52 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
the euphorbia, i thought originally boreanesis, but it does not have the half circles
the euphorbia, i thought originally boreanesis, but it does not have the half circles
IMAG0249.jpg (30.33 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
the red area of the plant, not sure why it was like this, came sick from a friend
the red area of the plant, not sure why it was like this, came sick from a friend
IMAG0250.jpg (23.19 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
close up
close up
IMAG0251_BURST002.jpg (37.2 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
another aloe? was mostly dead when I got it, it has been slowly opening up from a shriveled spiral.
another aloe? was mostly dead when I got it, it has been slowly opening up from a shriveled spiral.
IMAG0253.jpg (31.53 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
teo

Re: I.D help on some new pets!

Post by teo »

First is an Aloe or Haworthia or a hybrid of these.
Nr 2 is a (Cylindr)opuntia - too bad light results in etiolation (strethed-out growth) of the top

The Euphorbia looks like E. trigona (var. rubra?)
Last one is Haworthia attenuata
oldcat61

Post by oldcat61 »

First thing to do is get them out of that dish garden & into pots with the proper soil mix. Plenty of info here on the guide. Then gradually increase the amount of sun. Rescues can be a PITA. Sue
jennajean

Post by jennajean »

Thank you both so much!
Would anybody be able to tell me what is wrong with the E.Trigona? I've googled and searched the threads to try and find one that looks like this but haven't been able to. It isn't root rot and the stalks are not soft. Is it dehydrated or sun burnt?

Also would anyone be able to identity the small finger like cacti?

I just repotted everyone (minus the euphorbia) and moved them to better light. I live in a basement so room by the window is scarce- I'm looking into special grow light bulbs as even though I can put a good amount of these out for sun, I do not trust this wacky spring we have had so far on Long Island and don't want to get them water or sun damaged.
Rosemarie

Post by Rosemarie »

Aloe 'Pepe' in the first photo. Skinny guy looks like Rhipsalis baccifera ssp. horrida . Sedum burrito on the right. The grafted Moon cactus top (red) is a Gymnocalycium (I forget which species).
Rosemarie
CactusLover

Post by CactusLover »

There is nothing wrong with your Euphorbia. It's either sunburned or it's var. rubra that turns red in the sun.
Once bitten by the cactus collecting/growing bug, there is no known cure!
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The grafted cactus is Gymnocalycium mihanovichii "rubrum". It's a mutant that has no chlorophyll, can live only as a graft.
Spence :mrgreen:
keithp2012

Post by keithp2012 »

jennajean wrote:Thank you both so much!
Would anybody be able to tell me what is wrong with the E.Trigona? I've googled and searched the threads to try and find one that looks like this but haven't been able to. It isn't root rot and the stalks are not soft. Is it dehydrated or sun burnt?

Also would anyone be able to identity the small finger like cacti?

I just repotted everyone (minus the euphorbia) and moved them to better light. I live in a basement so room by the window is scarce- I'm looking into special grow light bulbs as even though I can put a good amount of these out for sun, I do not trust this wacky spring we have had so far on Long Island and don't want to get them water or sun damaged.
I live on Long Island too! When the weather starts to get warm (no frost) I put my cacti out during the day and bring them in only if danger of frost is coming or multiple days of rain. Otherwise late spring, summer, and early fall they are out 24 hours a day and bloom profusely.
Rosemarie

Post by Rosemarie »

Oh GEE! I was looking through the pix, making mental notes to myself on names to make a comment. THEN...I see this is a year old post & I already commented! At least all the names I was going to give are the same as I said a year ago! Whew!
Rosemarie