Not bargain bin mysteries this time ;)

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
LilyPond

Not bargain bin mysteries this time ;)

Post by LilyPond »

You all were super helpful last time! Alas, two of the plants from before died - both from the same triple-container, and the last, a crassula perforata, is struggling and I chopped its head off to replant. I'm guessing they were just an unhappy batch.

But this addiction, it grows anyway despite the losses. And I'm starting to get a better handle on the different types of succulents and how they grow.

That said, I'd love some IDs if any of these are recognizable?
IMAG1454.jpg
IMAG1454.jpg (39.61 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
Front row, left: A Haworthia retusa? (Or obtusa? How do you tell the difference?)
Front tow, right: ...Hen and chicks?
IMAG1455.jpg
IMAG1455.jpg (47.11 KiB) Viewed 1299 times
Closeups of the back two rows.
Back row, left: ??
Back row, right: ??
Front row, left: A lophos? It's kind of wrinkly, the seller said it's probably due for some water.
Front row, right: Something that looks like a marine plant.

Thanks for any help!
Edit to fix pictures.
Last edited by LilyPond on Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JamesEG

Re: Not bargain bin mysteries this time ;)

Post by JamesEG »

The one in the bottom right of your first picture is Crassula ovata cv. 'Gollum', no idea about the others I'm afraid, you might need some more pictures of them to be absolutely sure.
adetheproducer

Post by adetheproducer »

The bottom left/middle left looks like a very young astrophytum asterias(possibly a verigated one or not a very happy one).
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade recalling all of the times
I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I dont mind
I dont mind.
I DONT MIND
Saxicola

Post by Saxicola »

Try taking close ups of each plant individually. I agree with Ade that one looks like a sickly A. asterias (I hope it is variegated instead but I doubt it). Those can be tricky to grow and one starting out sickly makes it harder, but hopefully it was cheap and maybe you'll be lucky and it recovers nicely.

I've seen that one in the upper right corner before but the name escapes me. It is close to Crassula mucosa, but I don't think that is quite right. As for the Haworthia, I don't know it specifically but when you get cultivars they may well be hybrids and aren't a regular species per se. I'm not saying it isn't a true species, just that it might not be.
I'm now selling plants on Ebay. Check it out! Kyle's Plants
LilyPond

Post by LilyPond »

Are these closeup enough? Or would different angles help? (I've only got the phone on my camera, my apologies for the weird lighting.)
IMAG1457.jpg
IMAG1457.jpg (33.84 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
This is tiny, the size of a nickel. There were larger specimens, all with the same orange-green colorations, so either they're all sick or this is some colored variety.
IMAG1460.jpg
IMAG1460.jpg (24.32 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
This is the size of a quarter, reminds me of lettuce.
IMAG1462.jpg
IMAG1462.jpg (26.46 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
Whatever this is, it's prolific. I repotted from a tiny thimble cup and found all these buried leaves sprouting below the surface, including the one on the curved stem from the main plant.
IMAG1463.jpg
IMAG1463.jpg (25.09 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
This has got a little offset coming up from the ground.
IMAG1466.jpg
IMAG1466.jpg (19.12 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
Hawortha something. Probably a hybrid of some sort, I agree, but is there any way to tell what at least one of its parents is?
JamesEG

Post by JamesEG »

I agree with A. asterias for the first one, could the plant in the third picture be a slightly etiolated Crassula quadrangularis?
Aiko

Post by Aiko »

The Haworthia looks like Haworthia cymbiformis variegata.
I would think the top right plant on your first pictures is definitely a Crassula (but not Crassula quadrangularis).
The bottom right looks like a Pachyphytum.
Mike

Post by Mike »

top left might be Echevieria shaviana or hybrid of it.
top right - I have/had one like it labeled C ericoides. Someone said instead a large form of C muscova. Until it flowers, not sure
need a flower for the bottom right, could be Graptopetalum or hybrid

the haworthia is nice, don't overwater it