Please ID the Plant (also the Bugs)

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
coyotecreek

Please ID the Plant (also the Bugs)

Post by coyotecreek »

Just noticed the flowers were dripping sticky stuff, then found the culprits with a 10x hand lens. Hope the photo is clear enough to identify the little critters. What to do about them? And any chance they will spread to nearby plants?
P1100475-R1.JPG
P1100475-R1.JPG (42.67 KiB) Viewed 994 times
P1100483-R1.JPG
P1100483-R1.JPG (41.67 KiB) Viewed 994 times
BarryRice

Re: Please ID the Plant (also the Bugs)

Post by BarryRice »

Mealy bugs.
I'll grow it as long as it doesn't have glochids. Gaudy flowers a plus.
Rosemarie

Post by Rosemarie »

It is an Echeveria, but I don't recognize the species. There are a handful with yellow blooms. Can't find my list of them, though~sorry.

Use a spray of 50/50 water & rubbing alcohol. Pick off (w/toothpicks?) if you're able. Check & spray again in a few days-week, if necessary. You can quarantine from other plants.
Rosemarie
Rosemarie

Post by Rosemarie »

I found & checked my list of yellow-flowering Echeveria. None of them fit to a T, but Echeveria tolucensis comes close (some list as E. secunda var. tolucensis-but- I don't know if that's valid). Also, I don't think this plant is in the trade, so less likely that is it. Could be a hybrid. :P
Rosemarie
BarryRice

Post by BarryRice »

Are you sure of using an IPA spray? I did this on some Echeveria, while spraying cacti for spider mites, and the Echeveria wilted and fell apart.
I'll grow it as long as it doesn't have glochids. Gaudy flowers a plus.
Rod Smith

Post by Rod Smith »

BarryRice wrote:Are you sure of using an IPA spray? I did this on some Echeveria, while spraying cacti for spider mites, and the Echeveria wilted and fell apart.
I find it's best to dab the individual mealy bugs with a small brush dipped in IPA or methylated spirits. Try to avoid getting any on the plant, although a small dab here or there shouldn't cause a problem.
Cactus enthusiast on and off since boyhood. I have a modest collection of cacti & succulents.