=^-^= Sedum Dasyphyllm ( suburburb clumps )

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
Eutow_Intermedium

=^-^= Sedum Dasyphyllm ( suburburb clumps )

Post by Eutow_Intermedium »

I've known about this small succulent now for many years. I found it growing in a couple of small clumps at the bottom of a tree in in between roots at the side of a main road in my old town.

I put a little bit in an old Butler sink that I origionaly planted with various succulent , alpine and even an Echinopsis Oxygona.

All the plants have been lost to the years apart from a couple of Lewisia's.

But this curious micro succulent is ever romping away , and I have no idea what it is.

Individual leaves are miniscule and glaucous with tiny filament hairs on each leaf. It has flowered by not often. It's fully hardy and can withstand very free draining soil. If anyone can finaly put me out of my misaree and tell me what this little fella is , i'd be much appreciative.

I'm thinking a Sedum or a Crassula..

Pics as follows

Spilling over the side

Wedged into a corner

Close up

My camera has a macro lens . Omg !

Regds

Eutow_Int*
Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rosemarie

Re: =^~^= Ok I need an ident

Post by Rosemarie »

Nice clumps you have there! Sedum dasyphyllum, I believe.
Rosemarie
Eutow_Intermedium

Ah well done !

Thanks Rosemarie , i've been looking to find out what this succulent is for quite a long time.

I would like to try and put some of this in a pot or spread it around a bit more.

Do you know if this is one of the smallest sedum's. I just looked up dasyphllum and it's certainly the one.

ps. The whole sink is full of the stuff , apart from the holes that the local squirrels or Foxes dug out.

=^-^= *nods*
Rosemarie

Post by Rosemarie »

You're welcome! It certainly could be considered one of those in the group of small Sedums.
Rosemarie
Eutow_Intermedium

Ok it was a couple of weeks back now. But we had contractors working on our block to install Fencing and gates.

Unfortunately I arrived one day to find my beloved Butler sink < < GONE > >

With all my Sedum Dasyphyllum face down on the grass with the soil and gravel and roots facing the sky.

:cry:

I can tell you I was pretty upset and angry about this , but what can you do. " nothing "

I managed to pot up three plastic pots with some of the broken up Sedum clump and fill in the soil around the edges and water the pots in. I also did a bit of what the plant first came from in Addiscombe. There is a four trunked Ash tree in the communal , and I slapped a small piece in there and threw some original Butler sink soil/gravel around it and watered in. Hopefuly that clump will do what the My Old Town found habitat plant will do , and establish and trail down the base of the trunk of the ash tree.

I also have a painted and glazed plant pot ( small ) on top of the communal wall , that I had put a small piece in last year , and thats looking good now, and just starting to trail.

So out of the disaster of losing my Butler sink to find just broken fragment remaining. There is the chance my S. Dasyphyllum will begin again. .

=^_^=
Eutow_Intermedium

Nope

Just had a look for the small painted pot and some Tea leaf has half inched it

:x

Back to the drawing board.

I can tell you one thing. Who ever stole that plant , definitely didn't deserve it. Choice Sedum :(
Rosemarie

Post by Rosemarie »

Sorry to hear of your theft! I would be HIGHly bummed! Unbelievable what some will do! The thief will get what's coming to them...eventually. Good luck!
Rosemarie
Eutow_Intermedium

I'll let you know how the three remaining plastic pots full do. And the small colony at the base of the tree.

I live in a communal block and anybody on or off site can just walk in and take or damage what they want. The S. Dasyphyllum was the only succulent I have outside apart from a couple of Lewisia Plants.

I'll be glad when they finally give us the fob keys to the new gates. At least I know it will be harder for outside intruders to get in. If anything goes missing, it will more tun likely be somebody on the block being an arse.

one advantage of the new metal fencing is , there is lot more light, and far more air circulation that extreme end of the communal garden.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

Those things are tough as nails, probably every piece will grow.
Spence :mrgreen:
Eutow_Intermedium

=^_^= Sedum Dasyphyllm ( suburbia )

Ok so i'm pretty shocked . I discovered a big colony of Sedum Dasyphyllm pretty much right opposite my flat

As you know I had my own enamelled butler sink full of the stuff up until recently. There sink went missing and all that was left was a chip off the corner laying on the grass.

I planted a new clump in between the four trunks of an ash tree, but that hasn't taken off because the slugs and snails have made a meal of it.

A small cluster in the remains of a broken victorian bottle .

Some very small clumps remain around the manhole cover.

I still have have several individual pots with the new gen colonies in. One in the communal. One in the allotment greenhouse, and one colony outside on the allotment in a put, just under the Anerley ( mirabel ) plum .

In the Greenhouse. Looking a bit more pumped .

Here is the outdoor clump

As far as the newly discovered patch on somebody's flint stoned driveway. I do wonder if they originated from my Butler sink , although if they did come from the communal out back , the leaf cuttings were taken years ago. I'm sure I installed that butler sink in the Mid/late 2000's at least.

The new colony of Sedum Dassyphyllm discovered pretty much down the road from me , as you can see, due to footfall and the car moving off and on the drive, the plants have taken on a more ground hugging habit with a bit of purple colour to the leaves too

And the colony in it's entire

I understand it's hard to not look at the Bright red Toyota Yaris , but the plants can be seen below amongst the flint cobbles

=^_~=

Eutow_Intermedium*
Last edited by Eutow_Intermedium on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eutow_Intermedium

Re: =^-^= Sedum Dasyphyllm ( suburburb clumps )

Oh yes and a photo of the original source of this plant in my old ends.

It sits at the bottom of an old Beech tree at the side of yes. A driveway :lol:

This picture is at least year old. The last time I went by there the Beech tree colony had spread to a few more patches nearby overwinter, will have to get fresh pics of the Addiscombe urban habitat locality.

I did ask Derek Tribble if he new anything bout this plant , he didn't seem to know his Sedum's as much as he did his Crassula's. But he did say the plant origionated from Europe. I'd say the alpine area's myself .
Rosemarie

Post by Rosemarie »

SO nice to hear a success story...and a HAPPY ending! Thanks for coming back to share! They look GREAT!! :D
Rosemarie
Eutow_Intermedium

Rosemarie wrote:Sorry to hear of your theft! I would be HIGHly bummed! Unbelievable what some will do! The thief will get what's coming to them...eventually. Good luck!
I noticed in recent weeks that the pot had returned on top of the wall, only it was completely empty. I'd say a Fox probably knocked it off and over into the Private garden behind the communal wall.

So it wasn't Half inched or Tea leafed like I thought it was.

I later used this surprisingly undamaged plant pot to start off four branches of Charmaecereus Silvestrii.
greenknight

Post by greenknight »

The Sedums growing in the driveway are a good demonstration of how tough they really are.
Spence :mrgreen: