Gasteria, Aloe, Gasteraloe?

If you have a succulent plant and need help identifying it, this is the place to post it.
diamondstate

Gasteria, Aloe, Gasteraloe?

Post by diamondstate »

I purchased this succulent this afternoon at Walmart and I'm not sure what it really is. It seems to me that it has characteristics of both a Gasteria and an Aloe. A confirmation would be great. And if it is indeed a hybrid, how do I care for it. I really like it and it I don't want to kill it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

:D
IMG_0084[1].JPG
IMG_0084[1].JPG (79.95 KiB) Viewed 3974 times
Jim
LT10

Re: Gasteria, Aloe, Gasteraloe?

Post by LT10 »

Looks like one of the Gasteria hybrid cultivar plants, Rosemarie will most probably know its name and I think you should look at a grittier soil, I use 50:50 potting soil (peatless) and perlite, but you have better options in US. Stay away from midday sun, morning or strong bright light is good enough. Let it dry between watering.
hendryterok

Post by hendryterok »

Gasteria John Ackers?
LT10

Post by LT10 »

Other options are all these G. 'green ice', 'green gold', 'green ghost'....could be John Ackers as well.
Tony

Post by Tony »

LT Is right. let me add, could also be 'little warty'?
Forget the dog...Beware of the plants!!!

Tony
diamondstate

Post by diamondstate »

Thanks for the help everyone. It looks like both John Ackers and little warty. Although I'm leaning more towards 'little warty'. Thanks!
Jim
Rosemarie

Post by Rosemarie »

I believe it is Gasteria 'Little Warty', but you can help confirm that. Does it have little bumps all over its leaves (how it got its name)?
Rosemarie
diamondstate

Post by diamondstate »

Yes there are little bumps all over it. I take it 'Little Warty' is the only one listed that is covered in little bumps. So 'little Warty' it is! Thanks!
Jim
Rosemarie

Post by Rosemarie »

Let's just say I know xGasteraloe 'Green Ice' does not have bumps, but then, the leaves are not so long either. I do not have any personal experience with the others mentioned. :mrgreen: I do believe it is 'Little Warty'.
Rosemarie
diamondstate

Post by diamondstate »

Does the Gasteria have a dormant season? Is it a summer or winter grower? I'm in the mid-Atlantic so I get all four seasons. Thanks!
Jim
DustBunny

Post by DustBunny »

I have a little warty and it is one of my favorite plants :) I am in IL and mine goes outside for the warm months an comes inside and goes under lights for the cold months. It seems to put on the most growth during the warm months but it does grow slow and steady through the winter. In the summer I let the rain water it but I do give supplemental water as needed and in the winter I water lightly about once a week.

If you bought it at Wal-Mart it was probably growing in peat. If it was, you will need to get all of the peat off the roots and pot it in something healthier for the plant. Here is a link about peat http://www.cactiguide.com/forum/viewtop ... =25&t=9222" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It can be hard to get the peat off but what I do is soak the roots/peat ball thoroughly and then either under running water or in a bowl of water carefully work the peat off the roots. Some may break off but your plant will grow new ones. Once all the peat is off re-pot into something that is just big enough for the roots. The pot you have it in looks like it might be too large. You will want to plant it in a quick draining mix. Like LT said you can amend regular cactus mix 50:50 with perlite, pumice, turface, etc. There are quite a few good threads on cactus/succulent potting mix on the Cultivation board you can check out. After it has been re-potted wait a week or two before watering it.
diamondstate

Post by diamondstate »

Thanks for all the great info, DustBunny! I wiil repot it this weekend per your instructions. It can get very humid here in the summer. Do you think that would hurt the plant?
Jim
DustBunny

Post by DustBunny »

It can get really humid here in the summer, perhaps not as humid as you get, but it doesn't seem to hurt my plant. I would think it should be fine as long as you have it in a loose mix and let it dry out a bit between watering.
GreenThumb

Post by GreenThumb »

Diamondstate -
How is your Little Warty doing?
I bought a similar one a couple of months ago when it was still a summer time. I was totally smitten by the fat, glossy leaves and adorable white bumps!
Somehow it barely survived just one watering even though I've got all the peat off the roots and waited before watering.
Now, deep into the fall, what's left after the ordeal looks like a very skinny, dehydrated aloe, I'm not sure how to care for it - water? not to water till spring or what? #-o

Anybody's advice is much, much appreciated!